Begin typing your search above and press return to search.
Volume: 6 Issue: 4 November 2008 - Supplement - 1



We evaluated the utility of serum CD30 (sCD30) levels as predictor of early acute graft rejection in live related renal transplant program. This prospective study included 50 consecutive renal transplant recipients who received their first live related renal allograft at the Sindh Institute of Urology and Transplantation (SIUT) between October 2006 and March 2007. Blood samples were obtained one day before transplantation and on the third and fourteen post- transplant days. Blood samples were also obtained from 50, age and sex matched healthy control individuals. Levels of serum sCD30 were measured by Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA). Donor-recipient blood group matching was identical in all patients. Pre-transplant lymphocyte cross match for T and B cells was negative, and panel reactive antibodies (PRA) were 0% for all recipients. The mean age of recipients was 31.6 ± 10.23 years (range 5 to 55 years), while mean donor age was 32.74 ± 8.48 years (range 21-50 years). Eleven (22%) recipients and donors were HLA identical while remaining (78%) were one haplotype match. Average serum sCD30 pre-transplant levels (37.8 ± 4.97U/ml) were significantly higher than those of healthy individual’s mean value of 8.48 ± 4.97 U/ml, (P value= 0.001). Eight (16%) patients developed acute rejection episode during this follow up period. Rejections were described and classified according to BANFF 97 classification. In conclusion, in this small single center study the serum levels of sCD30 did not show any significant difference between rejection and non rejection group in our transplant population.

Volume : 6
Issue : 4
Pages : 101

PDF VIEW [1191] KB.

Sindh Institute of Urology and Transplantation, Karachi, Pakistan